Water in your diesel fuel system
WATER IS THE MOST DAMAGING CONTAMINANT TO A COMMON RAIL FUEL SYSTEM.
the most common failure symptoms from water contamination
- Vehicle cuts out altogether – stops dead
- Vehicle runs rough
- Blowing excessive smoke
- Presents with high pressure leak codes
- Vehicle goes into limp mode
The way it damages the fuel system is that it creates a lack of lubrication (sounds odd that water actually creates a lack of lubrication but it’s true!) which in turn can prematurely wear your high pressure pump and injectors.
We see at least 3 water in diesel fuel related failures per week, sometimes more, particularly in common rail systems.
The high pressure pump and injectors used in a diesel common rail vehicles rely on a good quality fuel.
Options for water in fuel prevention
There is really NO WAY to filter water, it can possibly be seperated but not filtered.
A secondary filter, in our opinion, would restrict the fuel flow in your engine and is not something we recommend.
Preventative warning systems for water are the option that we believe is most effective however it is not a set and forget device.
A waterscan kit is something we have developed to try and combat water related failures in your common rail fuel system – it alerts you via a light or buzzer on your dash when it detects water is present in your fuel.
When or if the light/buzzer goes off – this is the bit where you come in!
- Stop your car immediately (even a small amount of water in the fuel system can do huge damage)
- Drain the water from the waterscan unit using the drain plug on the bottom of the unit.
- Once drained and plug and been reinstalled, prime fuel system using factory primer pump to start the vehicle
- If water has been collected you should look at draining / cleaning your fuel tanks and getting your fuel system checked.